Uruapan, Mexico (1964)
The region of Uruapan is in central-west Mexico and is one of seven regions comprising that state of Michoacán. The capitol of this region is Uruapan, which is 250 miles from Mexico City, 63 miles from Morelia and just a 171 miles from the important industrial port of Lázaro Cárdenas and the state's extensive and unexplored coastline.
"Uruapan" is a word from the Uruapan dialect of the Purhépecha language that could be translated as "the simultaneous flowering and fruiting of a plant", which has come to be interpreted, given the luxuriance of the region's vegetation and agriculture, as "the place where everything flowers".
According to the Spanish chronicles, the town was founded in 1534 as a result of the Andalusian friar Juan de San Miguel a Franciscan Fathers of the same order that later founded the California missions.
A mile above sea level, this “city on the plains” is surrounded by pines but is still semitropical. Loosely translated, “Uruapan” means “where the flowers grow”. It is the cultural and spiritual center of the Tarascan Indians. It is known for its active volcano, lacquer-work pottery, woodwork, embroidery and waterfall filled national park.
Uruapan and Culver City entered into the first of Culver City's Sister City agreements.
The official government website about this naturally beautiful city is, http://www.uruapan.gob.mx/